The Moreland Solar City is based in the City of Moreland, inner northern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. Moreland Solar City has four key project streams:
- Zero Carbon Moreland: a community engagement strategy to inspire and facilitate community wide response to climate change
- Coburg Initiative: an exciting inner urban project that will see the major portion of central Coburg redeveloped to deliver outstanding new amenities.
- Energy Hub: delivering 1,000 energy efficiency audits and retro fits for low income households
- Moreland Energy Services: a local energy services company developing local sustainable energy generation
Aiming for a sustainable community, Moreland Solar City will:
- find practical ways to improve the energy efficiency of our homes and businesses
- assist those less able to change
- produce the energy we need sustainably and
- create new places to live and work that tread lightly on our planet.
The Moreland community is joining international efforts to reduce our impact on our climate. Moreland is building the foundations to reduce greenhouse pollution to zero net by 2030. Changing the way we use energy is a critical part of this plan. The Solar Cities initiative is a long-term project that will generate ideas and practical solutions on how to manage our energy better. Together we can create a new energy future.
About the Australian Government Solar Cities initiative
The Australian Government’s Solar Cities initiative is a visionary energy initiative bringing together industry, business, governments and communities to rethink the way they produce, use and save energy.
Solar Cities is looking for practical and creative future energy solutions through “real-world” trials in key urban locations across Australia. The information gathered through the Solar Cities program will assist:
- householders to better manage their energy use, make cleaner, greener choices and save money;
- industry including small businesses, to test sustainable energy options in a low-risk environment;
- electricity companies to better understand the extent of cost savings in servicing peak energy demand periods; and
- governments to develop future energy and greenhouse policy.
Solar Cities is exploring options for a new energy future because the way we use energy now will affect our climate in the years to come.